“September” - Holidays are over, back to school and… the start of the National Football League. Pre-season training is almost complete for the 32 team across America and the kick off to the season means one thing… some of the finest sculptured bodies are about to be showcased across the world. I’m not talking about the handsome and athletic football players, I’m thinking before the whistle has even blown… the cheerleaders!
Even without brightly coloured pom poms, ribbons and costumes you on the side line can strive for that toned and perfected body, soon to be on our screens. My top 3 tips for a body to cheer about:
Cut down on high processed/high carbohydrate foods, these increase fat storage around the tummy. Try foods which are high in protein and eat plenty of colourful veg!
Build in 3 strength training and 2 cardio sessions into your week. To start today try 10 repetitions of the following exercises 4 times round.
- 1. Squats - Stand up tall with feet shoulder width apart. Then, by bending at the knees, slowly lower your body into a squat position. Try to keep your heals down!
- 2. Half press ups - On your knees with your arms out in front, lower your chest down then push back up.
- 3. Glute bridge - Lie on your back with bent legs then thrust up your hips.
- 4. Plank - Start with your forearms on the floor, elbows beneath your shoulders, feet hip-width apart. Brace your abs so your body forms a straight line.
- 5. Reverse lunges - Stand tall and stride backwards into a split position before pushing back up to standing.
- 6. Star Jumps - To finish the circuit, this will heighten your heart rate and breathing rate improving your cardio-vascular fitness.
7-9 hours of sleep per day is what our body needs to function optimally. It's when our bones, tissues and cells grow and repair themselves; increasing muscle tone and decreasing fat levels.