Finding the time to stay fit and healthy when you’re a busy mum can be difficult as demands from the children can make it almost impossible. Use these following tips to help you live a healthy lifestyle around your family.
- Block out a preferred time to exercise. If you have an appointment you will be more likely to adhere to your plan.
- You don’t have to join a gym to exercise. Your living room, garden or local park can be the perfect locations. Walking and taking the stairs when possible can be great calorie burners
- If you are time restricted, use full body exercises which will work more muscle groups in a shorter amount of time; A quick, simple programme you could follow would look like this:
4 sets of 15 reps of each exercise. Take 1 min rest between each set
A3 Press ups
A4 Banded rows
A5 45 seconds mountain climbers
A6 1min front plank
A7 30 second side plank each side
- Include your children while you workout, it’s a great way of keeping your children active too!
- Surround yourself with a network of mums and like-minded individuals. Having that support around you will make your fitness journey even more motivating
- When it comes to nutrition, preparation is key. Take some time out once/twice a week to mass cook some healthy meals. Throw a load of mixed veg into a pan with some lean protein e.g. chicken or turkey and separate into bags for freezing. That way you have healthy meals ready to go
- Try not to pick at your children’s meals as these extra calories can add up very quickly and hinder your goals. Have your own healthy snacks readily available
- Use an app like myfitnesspal which will help you track your calorie or food intake
- Adherence is key! Stick to a nutrition plan and exercise routine that is sustainable and enjoyable.