Enjoy the festive season without the January Hangover
The festive season is a time to be enjoyed and finding a happy balance between festive fun and healthy living will keep you fighting fit throughout the festive period and allow you start the New Year feeling your best.
- Hydrate! It is likely that you may drink a little more alcohol over the festive period than normal. If this is the case it is so important to focus on making sure your water intake is high to keep the body hydrated. Doing so will help with controlling appreciate, hangovers and energy levels. On a night out try having a small glass of water in between each drink and make sure you have 1 pint of water before you go to bed.
- Alcohol – alcohol consumption goes up for most people over Christmas but you can control it’s effects and keep your calories in check by making some simple swops. Try to stay away from high calorie containing drinks such as beers, cocktails and sugary mixers. Stick to high quality wine, low calorie mixers such as vodka and soda or champagne. Then there is quantity, try to set yourself an allowance for the night and see if you can stick to it!
- Planning – the days running up to Christmas are often very busy with social occasions. To make sure you are in control of your week plan ahead. Try to look ahead to see what is going on in your diary and pick 1 or 2 nights that week where you know you will want to eat and drink whatever you fancy. Doing so will allow you to consider evenings where may not drink at all or be a bit more mindful of your food and drink choices. This can stop your week escalating and allow you to enjoy your nights out without losing control.
- Portion Control – with all the lovely festive food hanging around the house it is hard as we get closer to Christmas to not overeat. This however is an important focus in order to not put on unwanted Christmas weight. Staying in touch with your hunger cues is very important, try to listen to your body and stop when you are full and when you aren’t enjoying your meal as much as you did when you started. If you want to continue eating but know you are full sit with that craving for 5-10 minutes and try and “surf the urge” or try to change your focus by getting up and getting a glass of water.
- Keep moving – even if you aren’t smashing it in the gym over the Christmas period make sure you keep moving. This may be a nice long walk, a home workout or a gentle run. Moving and exercise will help to keep your calorie balance in check, help you get back into training more easily come January and most importantly make you feel good!